Bronx Council on the Arts - Director of External Affairs
The Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA) seeks a dynamic leader serving as Director of External Affairs to generate community investment in BCA’s mission and program activities in support of a vibrant and healthy arts and culture ecosystem.
Who is the Bronx Council on the Arts?
Founded by visionary community leaders in 1962, BCA is dedicated to the promotion of cultural equity in and for The Bronx. We nurture the borough’s vibrant and culturally diverse ecosystem – especially its independent artists and smaller cultural groups – through programs that build connections, provide resources, and advocate for the needs of culture in the borough.
BCA is the only organization serving both individuals and organizations across all artistic disciplines (both performing and non-performing), in all neighborhoods of the borough. This allows our impact to extend beyond direct services and support – we act as a catalyst for community, which in turn helps to fuel the viability and vitality of culture across the borough. Specifically, we strive to ensure:
- Artists & Creatives (mostly early and mid-career) in The Bronx can make a sustainable career from their art and continually deepen the quality of their work
- Small arts organizations in The Bronx can flourish in their mission and create a viable ecosystem for the arts to thrive
- An arts & cultural ecosystem that is healthy, vibrant, connected, accessible and pervasive throughout The Bronx.
For more information about the Bronx Council on the Arts, please visit our website at https://www.bronxarts.org/.
The Bronx is a borough full of surprises and delights that are waiting to be rediscovered by those who live here and discovered by those who visit. From world-renowned attractions like Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Zoo to the rich arts and cultural scene, there's something for everyone to love. The birthplace of hip hop and salsa, The Bronx is a hub of creative expression and cultural pride. From its vibrant street art to its thriving music scene, The Bronx is a place where art and culture come alive. With its rich history, delicious food, and friendly people, there's no wonder why The Bronx is a great place to be. Whether you're a lifelong resident or just visiting, The Bronx has something special to offer that you won't find anywhere else. So why not come and experience all that The Bronx has to offer? There's truly nothing not to love about this dynamic and exciting borough. (The Bronx Tourism Council)
For more information, visit The Bronx Tourism Council website.
Who is in Leadership?
Viviana Bianchi (she/her/hers), A native of Argentina, Viviana brings a social sector career that spans more than 25 years in the areas of resource and partnership development, management, fundraising, strategic planning, board of directors relations, and communications/marketing. Viviana became BCA’s fifth Executive Director in September 2017. Previously she was the Assistant Executive Director for External Affairs at Mind-Builders Creative Arts Center in The Bronx. She has also held NYC leadership positions at the Inter American Press Association, the Paul Robeson Fund for Independent Media at The Funding Exchange, and People for the American Way Foundation in Miami. She also founded Pegasus Solutions, a management consulting firm in Argentina that provided development and strategic planning services to media and culture organizations, and to individual artists. Viviana has been involved in cultural endeavors most of her life as an actor, film curator, and festival producer in Buenos Aires, Miami, and New York City. She received her B.A. in Theater from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and her M.A. in Cinema Studies and Certificate in Culture and Media from New York University. Her board service includes Art Zine, Film/Video Arts, and ARTS NYS, where she serves as Secretary. She is on the Hostos Community Council and serves on the NYC Mayor's Cultural Affairs Advisory Commission.
What will you do?
The Director of External Affairs reports to the Executive Director (ED) and supervises the Marketing and Communications Coordinator and a PT Associate. They work collaboratively with other members of the staff and are accountable to contributing to a positive organizational culture of warmth, passion, and accountability. The Director of External Affairs is a member of the senior team responsible for outward-facing communications (marketing, press, branding, community engagement, events, etc.), and works with the Executive Director to set strategy and to execute membership and fundraising programs geared to corporate and individual constituencies.
Areas of Accountability
Fundraising and Development
- Act as a thought partner to the ED and Fundraising Consultant in strategizing fundraising approaches.
- In collaboration with the ED, Deputy Director, and Fundraising Consultant, build annual development plans that speak to various channels (individual, corporate, events, etc.).
- In collaboration with the ED, generate restricted and unrestricted revenue to support BCA’s mission and meet fundraising goals.
- Identify and establish relationships with key funders and donors to help develop new sources of sustainable fundraising.
- Expand fundraising efforts, including creating and maintaining new corporate and individual relationships.
- Develop and implement membership programs.
- Support and facilitate the board’s role as ambassadors of, and fundraisers for BCA.
- Support the Executive Director in her role as chief fundraiser for BCA’s mission.
- Oversee the execution of fundraising events.
Community Engagement and Partnerships
- Engage corporate sponsors in giving opportunities.
- Build and steward relationships with various constituencies on behalf of BCA.
- Process individual and corporate donors’ acknowledgement letters.
- Collaborate with other arts and culture organizations locally and regionally, creating partnerships that serve a wide audience and create lasting social impact.
- Manage BCA’s participation in employee giving campaigns.
Marketing & Communications Strategy
- Develop strategy for marketing BCA’s activities with the aim of generating revenue and community participation in its programs and services.
- Strategize and steward press relations and interact with the press on behalf of BCA.
- With key staff, oversee creation and execution of marketing and communications plans that include advertising, public relations, and digital and social media efforts, as well as forming new strategic partnerships.
- Write materials for BCA’s various marketing and fundraising activities, including reporting for funders and board.
- Supervise email marketing and website to ensure they are grammatically correct, well presented, represent high quality presentations, and are aimed at generating revenue and promoting BCA’s offerings.
- Expand participation in, as well as elevate BCA’s brand/identity awareness.
Who are we looking for?
This role is ideal for a dynamic leader with development experience at a variety of levels, a proven fundraising record, and the capacity to formulate traditional and entrepreneurial strategies. This energetic and enthusiastic leader should be comfortable with both the creative elements and technical components of this work. They should have a proven understanding of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences. They should be a highly organized, strategic thinker with experience establishing clear direction, operating against objectives, and meeting deadlines.
This individual will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or other related discipline and 3-5 years of experience working in a similar function, preferably in an arts and culture institution, required. Master’s degree and solid experience are a plus.
- A successful record of achievement soliciting gifts, building and cultivating relationships, and leveraging a strong network of contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and execute effective strategies and tactics for marketing, social and traditional media, and public relations.
- Experience working successfully and collaboratively with a Board of Directors, senior management, and professional colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to select, train, motivate, and inspire staff, incorporating measures of accountability for success.
- Experience in developing and managing fundraising budgets.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite and Adobe Suite required along with fundraising/ticketing/CRM software systems, preferably Salesforce.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and an ability to inspire and motivate stakeholders and potential partners to support the BCA.
How much are we paying and what are the perks?
Annual Salary Range: $75,000 - $80,000/year
Location: Hybrid position
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO) including vacation, personal, and sick days
- 11 paid holidays
- Pension plan
- Elective 401(k) (no employer match)
How do I apply?
Visit aljpconsulting.com/apply-for-jobs to submit your application. Application deadline is August 22, 2023.
We know there are great candidates that may not have all of the qualifications and experience listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
BCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.